Friday, June 1, 2007

Poem

What Do You Know

The Blackwater River,
white foamed and clear,
ambles toward
Andover. Insistent
crows, demand on your own time,
I’m trying to fish
, swoop into elm
and oak trees. Summer
morning and the river’s low
and the crows cry: the river’s flow
has slowed. Two boats barely
rock, anchored to a dock. And the brightness
reflected by water makes me
squint. A woman, her infant and carriage
push past me on the dirt path.
The baby calls
my name. No, no, no. Bending
to pick up a strand of grass
to chew, my knees buckle. Overcome
with dizziness, I grab for clouds,
and what do you know, I miss
and float away
over path, people, riverbank, trees, crows, boats and water
until I am sound asleep.

1 comment:

Indecisive_as_always said...

i like your poem, very discriptive, were you at this place or was it made up?

i think its a metaphor for sumout... either way its very gud, as usual :)_

_c ya_